Building an extension step by step - Conclusion
The shell is now built and water tight, so I declare this stage complete.
On the not so good side:
I went slightly crazy at times when the weather and circumstances seem to gang up on me in what I had to assume was a personal vendetta.
I suffered some sleepless nights when my mind would not switch off or I could hear the gales blowing my tarpaulins.
I got pissed off with planners.
The skin on my hands split in the cold - I am prone to this.
I doubted myself and the quality of my work several times, particularly when laying the blocks and bricks as this is something I had not done before. A local builder pissed himself laughing at me when I expressed my concern, telling me to stop trying to build to engineering tolerances.
The roofs, valleys and box gutter was complex and took so long that I was getting fed up with climbing scaffolding.
However, on the much better side (which totally outweighs the not so good side):
The experience has been rewarding.
I am proud of what I have done so far.
I love builder's profiles.
I have not yet worked out the total build cost but I know it is a fraction of what I would have paid someone else to build it for me. That said, cost alone is not a good enough reason to tackle such a large task alone. I like to create and do things, so without doubt I wanted this challenge, and would have still done it all myself even if I were a millionaire, which sadly I am not.
I am soooo pleased I did not bottle out and chose to do everything myself from idea right through to the final squirt of window mastic.
I still have plenty to do to fit out the extension and also upgrade the main house to a much higher level of efficiency. All details of these works from now on will be uploaded to my new site ECO Home Renovation