I built my two storey extension for 20% of builder's quotes

This site shows how - step by step from design to completion

Tiling the Roofs

I was now ready to lay some roof tiles. After much deliberation I decided to go for reclaimed tiles. I searched local reclamation yards and ebay, and eventually found some that, though not a perfect match, were pretty good. I would tile the two main roofs using Rosemary plain tiles to match the main roof, and the single storey with single pantiles to match my single storey workshop. (I detail the single storey later)

 

I needed 3500 Rosemarys and 300 pantiles.

The first four crates contain the 3500  Rosemarys and a bunch of ridge tiles. Being so heavy, they had to be dumped on the road, and I had to unload all of them by hand and walk them round to the back of the house.

roof_tile_delivery

bucket_of_tiles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All the tiles were lifted up in a bucket. My wife, Karen, loaded the bucket then I hoisted them up and unloaded them. It took 400 bucket loads. I was pleased and a little surprised that the plank, pulley and G cramp contraption I cobbled together lasted out.

tile_housesI stacked the tiles in what my wife likes to call tile houses, but I am sure there is a proper roofers term for these stacks.

Karen ventured on the roof too. There were lots of tiles to lay, so a second pair of hands proved useful.

Laying the tiles was straightforward, but seemed to take forever. I nailed down the tiles at all edges - verge, eaves, valley and ridge, and every fifth row using aluminium nails.

 

roof_karenI mortared the ridge tiles down as I worked backwards toward the house. As I slowly ran out of space it became ever more awkward, as I was wary of breaking tiles if I put my weight on them.

When it became inevitable that I would have to put weight on the tiles I put some large pieces of polystyrene under a ladder to spread the load.

Because of my lack of decent scaffolding I mortared the verge from above. This proved  to be a real pain the butt and very tricky - a third lift on the scaffold would have made the job much quicker and easier. I am sure that is what any sane builder would do.

The roof had been a very long job. I was fed up with going up and down the scaffold tower, so was relieved once I declared the roof complete.

It was now getting hard to get Karen off the roof, however. I think she found her vocation.

 tiles_laidridge

roof_verge

 roof_karen_2